A novel approach for autonomous navigation of satellites is presented. The proposed navigation concept uses robust image motion tracking for acquisition of navigational data and requires minimum a priori information. The system incorporates a single compact image sensor and a high speed optical image processing unit to provide real-time performances. With the possibility of determination of both position and attitude estimates this system could be a basis for full autonomous operation of a satellite. This can be of particular interest in context with missions to other planets: Mars, Europa, etc.
The results and products of the project are:
- concept of optoelectronic system for autonomous navigation of satellites;
- navigation and attitude determination algorithms based on image motion tracking;
- analysis of navigation system performances (theoretical and simulation studies);
- detailed simulation models of all system components and algorithms
system limitations and constraints;
- general specification of the system hardware.